BOOK OF THE MONTH: OCTOBER 2018
ABOUT THE BOOK
Help Me! is the true story of what happened when journalist Marianne Power embarked on a 12-month quest to find out if self-help really could change her life.
Fed up of being broke and sad and single Marianne decided to follow the advice of twelve of the self-help world’s most successful gurus in a bid to finally ‘fix’ herself.
And while the quest may not have worked out exactly as she anticipated, the resulting book is a brilliant and funny self-help ‘cheat sheet’ perfect for anyone just starting out on their own journey of self-discovery. Or who hasn’t quite gotten around to studying all of the so-called gurus. There are no exercises to complete here. Instead, readers can learn about themselves vicariously through Marianne’s adventures (and misadventures) in love, work, finance, friendship, family, faith and nude modelling.
Books and gurus covered include:
1. Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers
2. Money, a Love Story by Kate Northrup
3. The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
4. Rejection Therapy, with Jason Comely
5. F**k It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way by John C. Parkin
6. Unleash the Power Within by Tony Robbins
7. Angels, with Doreen Virtue
8. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
9. The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
10. Get the Guy by Matthew Hussey
11. Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
12. You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay
THE BIG TAKEAWAY
SPOILER ALERT: Marianne doesn’t turn into Buddha. Or even Beyoncé. But that’s OK, actually. Because the biggest and best learning from Help Me! is that we are fine, just as we are.
Marianne says: “I want people to read this book and know that they are not alone, we all struggle sometimes and that, yes, do all the affirmations and make improvements to your life, but remember that you are OK the way you are just now. You really are. You are not broken and you do not need to be fixed.”
ABOUT THE AUTHOr
Marianne Power is a writer and journalist who lives in London.
Help Me! is her first book.
Follow Marianne on Instagram @marianne_power_writer